For the last couple of weeks our class has been working on what is called ''Storyteller dolls''. Storyteller dolls are dolls representing Native American cultures. The Storyteller dolls are either made out of clay or stone. Storyteller dolls could either be an animal or a human. Most of the Storyteller dolls have babies conected to them so they can tell stories about their culture. We had a blast making our Storyteller dolls!
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Thursday, December 2, 2010
At STARBASE we tried to save Eggbert from dying. Eggbert is an astronaut that is trying to get to the moon. We had to design and engineer a harnass that would keep him safe when he lands. We had 800 dollars in our bank to buy tools to keep Eggbert safe. There were only 4 groups that saved Eggbert but there were 3 groups that didn't make it. The groups that saved Eggbert got a certificate. The winning team that made it for the least money were Alexia, Hazel, Katherine, and Tyler. They got a STARBASE bookmark.
Alexia and Kaylani
Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Bill's Round Up by Mason
Multiplication Mix Up by Kaylani and Hazel
Zombie Survival by Jordan
Math Maze by Seth And Tait
La Bamba by Aaron
Tank Attack - Math by Joshua
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
- getting an education, making friends and having fun, having a BIG playground and a field -Mason
- the hard work that the teachers do for the students, my friends who support me, the big playground we play on - Kaylani
- I am thankful all my teachers being here and teaching me this really cool stuff like Marco Polo and Mickey Mouse. Mr. Miller I am really thankful for you the most because you like being here for all of us and you are a really cool teacher because you know a lot about computers. We are going on a field trip that no one else gets that opportunity and thats why I am thankful for you the most. - Seth
- I am thankful for my teachers like Mr.Moore and Mr.Miller. With Mr.Moore I had lots of fun in class. With Mr.Miller I learn a lot about division. I also learn about famous people like Christopher Columbus. I liked the story of Marco Polo. I'm thankful for my mom because she works so hard to make my sister, brother, and I so happy. - Carlos
- I am thankful for my Walker teachers because without music I would not know music symbols and what they mean and without art I would never know how to make beautiful pictures!!!!!! - Hazel
- I am thankful for Walker because I always have a fun time every day. I am also thankful because I get to learn cool stuff, but I'm most thankful for my friends because they're the ones who make school fun. - Tyler
- I am thankful for Walker School because Mr. Milton help me a lot in third grade. He helped me to leaned how to be good kid. He was also in the military. I also liked him because he gave out stuff. That's why I like him. -Noah
- I am thankful for Walker School because of my teacher, Mrs. Wick. She helped me to do multiplication , factions , and a little bit of division . She thought me how to write in cursive. She was a good teacher, too bad she had to go to a new school. - Lynnzee
- I am thankful for Walker School because it gave me the privilege to go to recess instead of staying inside. - Joshua
- I'm thankful for Walker School because I get to hang out with my friends since no one at my school lives where I live. And every day I learn something new. - Brodie
- I'm thankful for Walker School because I get to learn new things like math, you can make new friends, and play football. - Jeremy
- I am thankful for Walker School because our teachers give us education every day of the week . - Alexis
- I am thankful for Walker School for what they taught us. Mr.Miller showed us division his way and I am also thankful for my friends because without them I would not have cool, fantastic friends here at Walker School. - Bianca
- I am thankful for Walker School because it helps me learn and have friends. School is fun, cool and sometimes weird. I like school because they have nice teachers. - Jessie C.
- I am thankful for my kinder garden teacher Mrs. Piez because she taught me my ABC's. I am also thankful for recess because it gives you time to relax and have fun. I am thankful for the good times I have at Walker Elementary - Olivia
- I am thankful for Walker School because it is a great school. I am also thankful for my friends for helping me when I need help, I am thankful for my classmates because they help each other and they are very nice. - Camila
- I am thankful for Walker School because we are going to Star Base for a field trip.We go every Wednesday for 5 weeks for the whole day and Mr.Miller let's us sit wherever on the bus. - Tait
Friday, November 19, 2010
We played a game called Get Connected. There was a scorekeeper and a question asker. We had to roll the dice and if you landed on the Get Connected space, you had to answer a question. If you got it right you got one or two points. You had to guess if it was a human, natural, or capital resource. It was fun and exciting!
We have a woman who comes and speaks to us about entrepreneurs. Her name is Michele. She has her own business finding homes for people visiting from outside Tucson.
We also talked about STEM skills (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).Starting a business will require us to use these skills. Starbase talked about STEM skills also.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Monday, November 8, 2010
Video #2. This video was rated a 3. It had interesting use of symbolism. The main idea was clear and the graphics were good. Some story details were missing.
Video #3. This video was rated a 3. There was a good combination of narration and captioning. That helped to convey more information.
Monday, October 25, 2010
Friday, October 22, 2010
This poster was given a 3. The information was weak but the graphics, organization, and presentation pulled it up. More facts about each category would have improved it.
To see the rubric used to evaluate these posters click Poster rubric
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
We won him because we had the highest fifth grade fundraiser sales.
We also have to decorate it any way we want to. We are decorating it now. Right now all we have is a red cape and a super symbol.
The amazing pig race is on Friday, October 22, 2010 at our school. Stay tuned for a video of the race.
The news from,
Thursday, October 14, 2010
you can add a note or picture on what you've been doing.Just drag a widget from the bottom up onto the board and start typing. Add a picture if you have one.
Friday, October 8, 2010
Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.
Today the Tucson Symphony Brass Quintet and Percussion performed at Lulu Walker School. There was a French horn, a tuba, two trumpets and a trombone. There was also a percussionist with a kettle drum, a snare drum, a wood block, a triangle and a bass drum.
The theme for today was " Music is what emotion sounds like". One thing they talked about was rhythm. Rhythm is tempo - how fast or slow a piece is played. Also, they mentioned dynamics - how loud or soft they played. The trombone player talked about major and minor scales. A major scale is upbeat and happy but a minor scale sounds sad and slow. They called us the best school in the city.
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Video #4 was rated a 3. The graphics were detailed and the narration was clear. Many story details were included.
Video #5 was rated a 2. The narration was soft and the narrators seemed unclear as to what to say. The graphics could use more detail.
Video #6 was rated a 2. Some of the graphics were inappropriate (smily face) and included random objects. The narration did not match the graphics.
Video #7 was rated a 2. The video seemed rushed. The pictures were mixed up. the narration could have been smoother.
Video #8 was rated a 2. This video was ambitious but in the end did not succeed. Some of the graphics were among the best. There wasn't any narration but the slides progressed too fast to read. Zooming in and out did not enhance the project. This group deserves credit for trying something different. The music was inappropriate.
Video #9 was rated a 3. The graphics were attractive. This group also did not narrate but they were able to figure out the slide transition better. A better choice for music.
Video #10 was rated a 1. This video was missing much content. It was hard to follow and the ending was abrupt. There was evidence of poor preplanning.
Monday, October 4, 2010
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
Metaphors are comparing phrases without like or as, for example.
My dad's car is a dinosaur.
A similie is a phrase with like or as, for example.
He is as busy as a bee.
We had to make up our very own for similies and metophors
and we also had to make a picture for our favorite similies.
Also, we had Picture Day today. We all had to have our pictures taken.
Bringing your news today are
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
The Wolf Dragon
The Monk Liz
Thursday, September 2, 2010
When your teacher is away you get a Sub. Subs are teachers, staff members and other people. A Substitute's job is to take over the role of teacher. When a Sub comes you can show them what to do. Most subs do what's planned, while others take matters in their own hands. If you have a sub - go easy on them. Their job is hard because some kids think that it"s a day off. Behavior always matters because if you're bad your sub will write a bad review and the next day will be miserable. So if you have a sub go easy on them.
This is Jordan and Joshua giving you the news from room 25 online.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Friday, August 27, 2010
Chris and Tait
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Friday, August 20, 2010
After that we read books together.
We laughed a lot and we had lots of fun. We hope to go back next week.
Tuesday, August 17, 2010
Friday, August 13, 2010
This week we did an awesome project called Collage.
A collage is a picture when you have nothing but a...
Piece of paper (white or construction)
A few magazines
And never forget Scissers
And some school glue
Now here's how you do it
1.Try to find the words Me and Science and put them on each side
2.Find the pictures that best represent you and how you like science
3.Glue them on
4.Be Creative and have fun!!!
Now here's a video we like to call COLLAGE-A-MANIA.
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
This should be a great year. Our class has been selected to attend Starbase at Davis Monthan Airforce Base starting in October. This is a great program for teaching science to fifth graders. Check the calendar for the dates we will attend. In addition, we have lots of great math, social studies, reading and other activities planned. Remember to check the blog (and leave us your comments) to see what's going on in Room 25.
If you did not see the recommended supply list, click here.
So parents, there is a link on the right side to our homework calendar as well as the student's assignment book. Please check them if you have any questions. And for the students (and parents), how do you think it went today? Click the comment link below and leave your impressions. Remember to put your name in the box or we won't know who posted the comment. It was a great first day. See you tomorrow.
Link to Margeret Haddix 's book Found
Monday, June 7, 2010
or you can access from the link on the right. If you need the password send me an email.
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Thursday, May 13, 2010
The begining band did a great job. They played really good songs but one of them might have been difficult because it was their first time playing different parts at once. The advanced band did a great job. Alot of kids liked a song called Movie Medly Madness. It had a lot of movie theme songs like Jaws,Indiana Joanes,Star Wars,Pirates of the Carribean,Titanic,Star Trek, and The 21st century Fox fan fare.
The choir sang a cool warm up song that every one thought was funny.They had a song that had 4 soloists. It was really good.
Last we have the begining orcestra. They were amazing. They played some really good songs . They also played a song that involved the advanced orchestra.
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Watch the blog for the results of our cell phone project.
Friday, April 16, 2010
When we were in last year's class we got to chew gum but this year we did not get to chew gum . Last year's teacher said if you chew gum you think more. Mr. Miller did not agree. This year we got peppermints to chew at breaktime. We also got new pencils (Mr. Lansa said they had all the answers inside them).
We thought the test was going to be hard but it wasn't. We worked hard all year so we were prepared.
Monday, March 29, 2010
Please go and comment and tell me if you are doing AIMS testing.
Friday, March 26, 2010
Monday, March 22, 2010
However, I can not let you off so easy. Today while you are in the computer lab, I want you to answer these questions in the comment section. As always, please use proper sentences, spelling, and punctuation.
1. Do you think this is a fair trade-off? Is 2,500 hits on the blog worth not having homework?Why?
2. Why do you think I offered the class this deal? Why are hits on the blog worthwhile?
3. What do you enjoy about blogging? Has it made a difference in how you felt about fifth grade?
Think hard about your answers. Remember 2,500 people are waiting to hear your answers.
Friday, March 19, 2010
Thursday, March 11, 2010
The Boston Colony was given a 3 for their poster. It was strong in all areas. They also tried a different approach than the other groups so they get credit for being innovative.
Quebec Colony was given a 3 for their poster. It was probably the strongest poster especially in Presentation and Organization. The art teacher could have taught them how to use perspective in their poster. They always remembered that it was a recruiting poster. (The pigs probably should have been beavers)
This poster was given a 2. The New Amsterdam Colony was strong in facts but weak in design. It had too much blank space and the colored lettering was distracting.
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Click the link to see a slide show